Contact us today to schedule a free initial confidential consultation: (302) 777-1000

Seeking Compensation After a Hit and Run Accident

When You Are Hurt in an Accident with an Uninsured or Underinsured Driver

When you have been in an automobile accident, one of your first steps is typically to contact the insurance provider for the other driver. But what if you don’t know who the other driver was? What if you sustained injuries in a hit and run accident? Are you without recourse to seek compensation for your losses? The answer is most often no.

In Delaware, as in all states, automobile insurance carriers customarily offer what is known as uninsured or underinsured motorists coverage. It is typically optional and, in most instances, will appear as a rider on your policy. If you have this type of coverage, you can seek reimbursement directly from your own insurance company, should you be in an accident with a driver who carries no insurance or not enough insurance to cover your losses. You can also use this provision to seek coverage when you cannot identify who caused your injuries.

You may or may not be able to find it if you review your policy after an accident. In addition, your insurance company may not be too helpful in assisting you with an uninsured or underinsured motorist claim. An experienced lawyer can review your policy and identify quickly whether you are entitled to this coverage.
You may also want to investigate whether there are other parties who may be potentially liable, parties who have the resources to cover your losses. For example, road conditions may have contributed to your accident, or there may have been a traffic light out. There may have been problems with your car, stemming either from design or manufacturing errors, or faulty work by a mechanic.

At the law office of Michael J. Hood, LLC, we will use our three decades of experience to help you get full and fair compensation for all your losses, including wages and income, medical bills, physical pain and suffering and loss of companionship. We handle all types of serious and catastrophic loss, including brain or spinal cord injury, broken bones, paralysis, burns, permanent scarring or disfigurement, and amputation or loss of limb. We also take wrongful death claims.

Contact Attorney Michael J. Hood

For a private meeting, contact us online or call our office at (302) 777-1000. Evening and weekend appointments can be arranged upon request. We will come to your home or the hospital, if necessary. There is no cost for your first consultation.