Contact us today to schedule a free initial confidential consultation: (302) 777-1000

When You Are Hurt in an Accident with an Uninsured or Underinsured Driver

Often, after suffering injuries in a motor vehicle accident caused by the negligence or carelessness of another driver, your first course of action is to seek reimbursement and compensation from the other driver’s insurance provider. But what are your options when the other driver carries coverage for property damage only, or, worse yet, is driving without insurance (even though that’s a violation of the law).

In Delaware, as in other state, insurers typically offer what is known as uninsured or underinsured motorists coverage. It typically appears as a rider on your policy, and allows you to seek reimbursement directly from your own insurance company, in the event the “at-fault” party either has no insurance, or does not have enough coverage to cover your losses. It’s usually offered at an additional premium, and most insurance agents will carefully explain what it is and how much it will increase your premium. You may or may not be able to find it if you review your policy after an accident. In addition, your insurance company may not be too helpful in assisting you with an uninsured or underinsured motorist claim. You are best served to have an experienced lawyer review your policy and act as your liaison with insurers.

Another option when you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver is to investigate the likelihood that there are other potentially liable third parties who have the resources to cover your losses. For example, even though the other driver may have been speeding or driving recklessly, there may also have been potholes or other roadway defects that contributed to the accident. The other driver’s vehicle may have been negligently designed or manufactured, or even serviced improperly by a garage or mechanic, leading to defects that caused or contributed to the accident.

At the law office of Michael J. Hood, LLC, we will use our three decades of experience to help you get full and fair compensation for all your losses, including wages and income, medical bills, physical pain and suffering and loss of companionship. We handle all types of serious and catastrophic loss, including brain or spinal cord injury, broken bones, paralysis, burns, permanent scarring or disfigurement, and amputation or loss of limb. We also take wrongful death claims.

Contact Attorney Michael J. Hood

For a private meeting, contact us online or call our office at (302) 777-1000. Evening and weekend appointments can be arranged upon request. We will come to your home or the hospital, if necessary. There is no cost for your first consultation.