Contact us today to schedule a free initial confidential consultation: (302) 777-1000

The Need to Call Your Own Insurance Company Immediately After a Motor Vehicle Collision

Calling insurance agentWhen you purchase auto insurance, make certain that you have what is known as PIP, or personal injury protection. PIP is typically no-fault, so it will provide coverage regardless of who is at fault in the accident. PIP will cover medical expenses and/or lost wages for a specific period of time after the accident. In Delaware, PIP generally runs for two years from the date of the collision, but in Pennsylvania, it can be two years from the date of your last treatment.

It’s important to understand, though that you need to contact your insurance company immediately and notify them of your accident. They will send you the forms that you need to complete to get reimbursement or payment for medical bills paid, as well as lost wages.

There are often delays in obtaining reimbursement of lost wages, as the insurance company must send the form to your employer, and can’t reimburse you until the forms are returned by the employer. Unfortunately, employers are frequently slow in providing the required information, for a variety of reasons. To expedite your claim, you should continue to follow up with your employer to make sure wage information is provided to the insurance company. Though the insurance company may also contact your employer to move the process along, it’s in your best interests to initiate your claim as soon as possible, and to regularly communicate with your employer about the need to provide the information. You can often encounter delays and stalling strategies, but,with an attorney’s help, you can get your wages as quickly as possible.

If there are any unpaid bills arising out of the collision, and you are not yet represented an attorney, forward those bills to your insurance company immediately. If you don’t, you may run the risk that the service provider will report you as delinquent, which will have a detrimental impact on your credit score.

If you have an attorney, give any bills related to the accident to your lawyer as soon as possible. Your attorney will immediately forward those bills to the insurance adjustor handling your PIP/no-fault claim. If you continue to receive the same bills, keep giving them to your lawyer. Many times things fall through the cracks and a good attorney will follow up with the adjustor to get the bills paid.

It may seem strange that your own insurance picks up the medical bills and/or lost wages. But that is how it works in both Delaware and Pennsylvania, and it’s a good law. Without PIP/no fault, you would have to wait for the other party’s insurance company to pay for your medical bills and/or lost wages, and you could wait a long time.

Contact Us

For a free initial consultation, contact us online or call our office at (302) 777-1000. Evening and weekend meetings can be arranged upon request. We will come to your home or the hospital, if necessary.

Speak Your Mind

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.